Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers

Go Back   Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers > Hardware > Decoders

Old 01-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
BaronVonchesto

Free to Air with Astro Decoder: Philips DSX6170/68A

Hi all. Im a subscriber of ASTRO Malaysia. I was provided with the Philips decoder DSX6170/68A. I want to use it to receive free to air TV. Unfortunately it seems to be locked so that it will only receive Astro signals. I want to know how i could possibly unlock the decoder so i could get free to air. I am not interested in getting free astro. Im still keeping my old astro smartcard which uses MediaGuard 1 and cant be used to watch astro, if that is of any help.

When i set the decoder for other satellites and go to the signal meter it takes some time to display the meter, and when it does it shows 0. but when configured for astro, the signal comes instantly.
BaronVonchesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
knucklehead
Master Baiter

Have you put in the transponder details for the fta channel ? If you haven't, then you won't get a signal reading.
Is your dish pointed at Measat1? If it is then there is a fta choice of channels.
This website has all the details http://www.lyngsat.com/mea1.html

NO HOWARD
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
bassett
Satellite Guru

These receivers, and there are a heap of them, are set up specifically for
a set service, nothing more , nothing less. it's not a case of unlocking anything. Nothings locked, the software is designed for a service, and nothing else.. All you can do , is try and reload different sofware, if you can find something the receiver will except. The problem here is, it's quite possable that if there is a RS 232 port, it's not connected, or the receiver will simply not except a download other then by satellite. And many providers only download there software via satellite, in this way , they can upgrade or modify the software, to do what they want. And also maintain control of there receivers
bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
blackcrusader
Satellite Guru

You can buy a receiver that can use the Seca2 cards like Emetbaox3 which then allows you to have all the FTA channels from whatever other sats you tune into as well..

But you need to remember that in Malaysia it's illegal to use any receiver other than the provider receiver from Astro. Penalties are stiff.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
BaronVonchesto

Exclamation The Decoder is DSX7072/68H!!

Well my receiver has an Rs232 port, a serial port and a paralell port. If i remember correctly, the manual for the receiver did mention something about being able to receive FTA without the smartcard. However, Astro forced us to change our decoder once, so im not sure if the manual is for this receiver or the old one. I will have to check.

I JUST RECHECKED MY DECODER MODEL NUMBER:

It is DSX7072/68H. It appears that the model number is different from that I stated earlier. I apologise for typing the earlier model. i happend tp be at my cousins place and i thought that his decoder was exactly the same as mine.

As for getting a new decoder i belive that is totaly out of the question. It is really difficult to find one, and i am not willing to go that far seeing that im just playing around for fun, and there isnt really many FTA channels in english that i can get.

As for the settings, the LO freq. is shaded grey. Im not sure as what to put in for Code rate and symbol rate.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
siliggy
Satellite Guru

How is it locked? Some boxes just have a four digit password get passed that and away you go. 0000 - 9999 does not take forever to find it.
If Basset is right though you are stuffed!
Perhaps a user manual and even a factory reset method would be available from the philips website

Last edited by siliggy; 03-04-2006 at 08:19 PM.
siliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
siliggy
Satellite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonchesto
As for the settings, the LO freq. is shaded grey. Im not sure as what to put in for Code rate and symbol rate.

Oooops just notice the above line.
Maybe the LNB settings on another page let you change the LO.

Lyngsat list the info to put in these for each sat.
Perhaps you would get somthing from this one:
http://www.lyngsat.com/agila2.html

Symbol rate is the first number in the sixth column.
"Code rate" Huh duno?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
simmo

I would say the box is 'locked to the provider', playing with it is not something that would be recommended.
Code rate would be Viterbi I'd say.

Please take some time to browse and read our site.
We are a friendly, knowledgable mob but we don't tolerate laziness easily!.....

simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #9
bassett
Satellite Guru

These receivers are configered for the Astro services, owned by astro, and are locked for a reason..
The lo frequancy is shaded gray [disabled] and is set for the LNB being used.
I would doubt you can add a frequancy for new programming anyway, if it only shows the symble rate, and the cody rate ??

As someone has told you, better to buy another receiver, if you want to play around, also another dish, and keep your pay system seperate.
bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
BaronVonchesto

hmm.... the warranty has allready expired so i have no problems opening my receiver. if there was some sort of factory reset button, would it be ok to push it? i think there is a good chance that the original firmware provided can receive FTA but subsequent updqates removed the feature. the box is programmed to automaticly search and download updates from astro as soon as it finds them. in that case there would be no problem right? i could perhaps stick a toothpick to the reset button and let it stick out through one of the vents so that everytime i wanted to watch FTA i could just perss the toothpick and reprogram the receiver. then when i want to watch astro just set it back to astro settings. let it dwnld the 'updates' if it does. nothing wrong right?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
Ocean
Dr. Fixit

The Over-The-Air updates are now the "factory" firmware, and written to the flash memory, a reset will simply restore this new firmware.

Some versions of UEC receivers have a reset switch on the main board (as a membrane switch similar to the switches controlled by the front panel buttons). Such switches are uncommon in most receivers.

Best you find a simple receiver with functions aimed at the user, you will get much more enjoyment.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
attap

If you can find a compatible firmware to upload onto the Astro receiver, may be you will have a chance to play with FTA. Otherwise, the original factory setup of the STB is pratically "fixed" by Astro.
attap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
anjang1980@yaho

Need to join force.

Hi all Master ...

Practically , i m new in the bussness but it is in a same goal but how ever my decoder are DSX7072 / 68H .. Basicly it is a same but it might not the same firmware that we are talking about .. I have read all the posted artical and i have some file but dont know what to do with it .. May be , if i sending all the file to you guys , it might help you all and me to get the free FTA channel .

But i don't know how to send to you all because the page dont have any button to upload the file , so , do contact me for the file at anjang1980@yahoo.com.

If you have any info on the getting the FTA for my decoder, please teach it to me ..

Please help ..
anjang1980@yaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 04:22 AM   #14
Tonnychew

well. who need the reciever you can contact me for FTA adn many more.
Asiasat3 with more that 70+++ chanel and agila2 with mor more than 10++ chanel. tonny@tm.net.my
Tonnychew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 04:27 AM   #15
Tonnychew

Philip receiver DSX7072 basically can't be update as its specifically made for Astro uness you can find the compatible software to update. buying a new FTA receiver is the best solution.
Tonnychew is offline   Reply With Quote