Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers

Go Back   Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers > General > Satellite Chat

Old 11-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Apsattv
Satellite Guru

Optus D1 problems?

Snippetts of info coming in at the moment would suggest Optus D1 has a few issues. Which could be quite a problem.

The first unconfirmed bit of info is that the NZ beam has been configured as H pol by mistake. Which might explain why test signals I saw where H pol!

Optus are said to be blaming the manufacturer..

meanwhile Sky, TVNZ and BCL all held a rather panicy 4 hour meeting on Friday.

Anon says "techs said the signal could be down by as much as 6DB on the NZ beam" oh dearrrrr

Meanwhile at 177W "Where your friends call all the shots" ...someone is
Apsattv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
poiuytrewq

Wow! Interesting times...

I assume they can't just turn the bird around 90 degrees and make it vertical that way?

Do you have any idea how steerable the beams are?

Are they likely to put some of the NZ services on an AU/ NZ beam (ideal for us over here!) or do you have any other idea what there options may be?

I just did a coverage map comparison - it looks as though -6db is about what you have now over there? Is there any reason why SKY etc can't migrate the service to H polarity in the short-medium term?

p.

Last edited by poiuytrewq; 11-11-2006 at 08:38 AM. Reason: more info
poiuytrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Sky_Satt
Satellite Guru

TVNZ-BCL not that much of a problem freeview service is yet to start,
but for sky..600,000 subs... it will be interesting times a head...just think of all those single lnbfs out there that are skewed for "V " wow fun!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
arjoll

My understanding was that both polarisations were to be used in NZ - certainly all of Rhema's receivers around the country need to be changed within a couple of months of D1 going live, so I'll have a couple of jobs next month (I'm on the trust running Life fm down here).

Being down 6dB is quarter power (I presume you're talking dBW or dBm), but how does the actual power output compare to B1?

As a footnote they're getting enough trouble in the far north with the RBG feeds - they are all on C1 as a backup and I think that some stations up there have had so many issues with B1 that they've switched over. This end of the country has been ok - the occasional drop out on our Gore 2m - but we could do without any further drops.
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
adman
Happy to Help

Location: Traralgon Victoria Australia The World The Universe
That if true is one major stuff up.

Not like you can drive back to site & fix any issues that require "hands on".

I guess all types of trades have mishaps, these are just on a bigger scale.

cheers

adman

C-band with 2.3m dish Motorised: insat 2e, Asia2, Asia3, Palapa C2, Asia4, Apstar6, Telstar18, PAs8, Pas2, I701 (sometimes)

Ku-band with 90cm offset Motorised with Invacon Uni LNB: NSS6, Asia3 (Data), Asia4, Measat2, B3, C1, B1, Pas8, Pas2, AMC23, I701.(pixelated at times)

Ku-band with 1.5m Andrews Prime Focus dish with ST gold Prime Focus LNB manually moved.

Got mIRC? If so join #TriviaWorld on the AustNet server.
adman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
VK4BKP

Well all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA H!!!!!!!!!!!!

The skew is so bad it's 90 degrees out!
VK4BKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
enigma

Damn, i've been booked to do a shytload of repoints again for the "Lawsies" feeds, this will certainly make life interesting for the promax as the damn LNB's are 50 ohm, which the Promax regards as a short!
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Apsattv
Satellite Guru

Well lets wait and see what develops and not speculate too much. As far as I know so far the Wednesday A.M NZ time swapover is still taking place 12.Am to 2 A.M and then I think some of the Australian stuff.

Anyway it should make for a fun chatnight..
Apsattv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
VK4BKP

Since when does Optus care about skew anyway? Name one Optus bird where skew is correct with reference to other sats?

I find this all too funny for words. All those NZ LNB's will have to be rotated. Great stuff!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
cyril

Sky_Sat, I presume the original California Amp LNBs were single pol, what about the single throat Sharps that were rolled out before the current dual throat ones.

I presume the 6dB figure relates to the fact that the NZ launchers performance in Hpol is not optimised (ie designed for Vpol), if that is the case they may as well cut it loose now. D1 was roughly 3-4dB up on B1 over most of the country, 5-6dB in a few places. If its 6dB down on its intended performance then most of us will see at least a 3dB drop on current B1, light drizzle will stop that. This is all aside of the complication to get everyone on Hpol to start with.

Guess a few folks at Optus and Orbital wont be getting their bonuses.

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
poiuytrewq

Does anyone know how the configuring and pointing of the transponders on these sats works more generally? I would have failry naively assumed that individual transponders or combinations of them could be pointed at any of the transmitting antennas on the satellite?

p.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #12
notaclue69

I wonder if OptusD1 was put together by the same idiots who configured AMC23, I can only get horizontal feeds when selecting verticle on AMC23!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
cyril

Dont know about D1 specifically, however B series could only have a limited number of transponders routed to the NZ spot beam, I think its a max of 8transponders (or 16muxs as Sky/TVNZ use them). It is also possible to route full power to the NZ spot or split the power between the Aus main beam or NZSpot.

I think the D series has more options, but dont know the specifics.

Ultimately the Launcher for the NZ spot is only one polarisation, V for B1, and apparently H for D1.

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
VK4BKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaclue69 View Post
I wonder if OptusD1 was put together by the same idiots who configured AMC23, I can only get horizontal feeds when selecting verticle on AMC23!
Nothing wrong with AMC23. It's skew is aligned with all other sats except Optus.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps D1's "bad" skew is in fact the correct skew for the standard of all sats (I701, NSS6, Asiasats etc). Optus have never conformed to this before, but now the manufacturers may have constructed it that way?

That would be even funnier!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #15
poiuytrewq

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK4BKP View Post
Nothing wrong with AMC23. It's skew is aligned with all other sats except Optus.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps D1's "bad" skew is in fact the correct skew for the standard of all sats (I701, NSS6, Asiasats etc). Optus have never conformed to this before, but now the manufacturers may have constructed it that way?

That would be even funnier!
That strikes me as a pretty plausible theory! How severe is the Skew for b1 in NZ? Perhaps if they did design the bird for a "true" skew it would be reversed compared to how all the LNBs are pointing?

If that was the case, you couldn't blame the manufacturer!

p.