Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers

Go Back   Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers > General > Newbie Chat

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
drunkntigr

Values of symbol rate and freq for ChinaSat6B

Just wondering in the satellite setup, finally added ChinaSat6B and set the elevation to 115.

Now what values do I put in frequency and symbol rate

and do i choose horizontal or vertical?
drunkntigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Apsattv
Satellite Guru

May i suggest www.lyngsat.com
go there all the details are listed
Apsattv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
drunkntigr

Yes I'm familiar with that site, I was talking about the initial figure, but I seem to have worked it out, I'm guessing all the channels use the higher symbol rate as it gives a strong signal therefore easier to detect the satellite:

Atm by working out the positions of the satellite on the positioner and their corresponding satellite values I have found that 167 is the figure on the positioner I should be aiming for to get ChinaSat 6B

77 = 100.5E AsiaSat 2S
107 = 105.5E AsiaSat 3S
152 = 113E Palapa C2
167 = 115.5E ChinaSat 6B
276 = 134.0E Pastar

However this doesn't seem to work even when I tune into a signal that has higher symbol rate, anything I'm missing here?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Ocean
Dr. Fixit

Symbol rate does not necessarily affect signal strength.

Is the positioner/actuator system working (?)- I am confused with other posts.

You would do better with a cheap satellite finder, guessing the position by actuator pulse count is hit and miss.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
drunkntigr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkntigr View Post
Yes I'm familiar with that site, I was talking about the initial figure, but I seem to have worked it out, I'm guessing all the channels use the higher symbol rate as it gives a strong signal therefore easier to detect the satellite:

Atm by working out the positions of the satellite on the positioner and their corresponding satellite values I have found that 167 is the figure on the positioner I should be aiming for to get ChinaSat 6B

77 = 100.5E AsiaSat 2S
107 = 105.5E AsiaSat 3S
152 = 113E Palapa C2
167 = 115.5E ChinaSat 6B
276 = 134.0E Pastar

However this doesn't seem to work even when I tune into a signal that has higher symbol rate, anything I'm missing here?
OK I solved it, this is at my friends house who has a working positioner and actuator, I think I was just trying channels that had no signal therefore I didn't have any signal at 167.

Either way, another question is somewhere along the way, i select "Re-Zero to Disc 1.2" after I did this the satellite just kept on spinning to the end of the rotation and all the satellite positions were lost, so I had to go back and manually turn the satellite via the positioners E-W keys and then lock in the channels again, with the guide of the TP and the respective strong channel already set. I'm guessing Re-Zero basically means delete all satellite positions and keep spinning till you detect the satellites position. Lousy, I'm appalled by the shocking GUI that's in some of these things, hope my 4658X will be better. They were using a Phoenix brand.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
Ocean
Dr. Fixit

All the GUIs are pretty poor, some info is lost in translation, and different manufacturers have different names for the same functions.

The satellite hobby involves a bit of technology and nobody can learn it all in a day. An understanding of the terms used is essential !

RE-zero is used when the dish or actuator moves a bit accidentally - normally !

You can find one lost position, reset that one position, and the controller resets the positions for other previously installed satellites...except - this doesn't actually work unless you are using an H to H (Horizon to Horizon) mount (another type of motorised mount which uses a different motor principle than a linear actuator)....The reason it does not work is due to the fact that a mount using a linear actuator like yours does not move the same amount left/right per controller count. An H to H mount does move the same left/right per controller count. Your dish moves further in degrees azimuth per pulse count as the actuator extends further out due to the change in mechanical advantage/mounting method. In other words the controller count versus azimuthal rotation is not a linear function in the case of a linear actuator as is your device....an H TO H motor mount does have a linear function so estimation of a satellite location by pulse count is more accurate.

You can find pictures of both polar mounts and H to H mounts on this forum.

Last edited by Ocean; 02-10-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote