Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers

Go Back   Free to Air Satellite Forums (Asia Pacific) - Sponsored by aDigitaLife.com Audio Visual Suppliers > Hardware > Decoders

Old 31-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
kent08

anyone know where to buy a digicipher 2 decoder?

seems like many stores in aus don't stock these?
kent08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
VK2XSO
Satellite Guru

seems like your asking the wrong question on the wrong forum.

www.satvg.org
Sydney Amateur Television Group
VK2XSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
simmo

The reason being, is that the decoder you require is used to decrypt a pay tv provider signal.
As you are aware, Vetrun deals in FTA stuff.
Maybe contact the provider of the service you want, they may have a retail outlet near you????

Please take some time to browse and read our site.
We are a friendly, knowledgable mob but we don't tolerate laziness easily!.....

simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
VK2XSO
Satellite Guru

Oh I feel all politically correct simmo !

I get the feeling there is going to be a lot more questions on this and related subjects.

Like this one http://www.vetrun.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9222

And why DCII carriers won't be scanned or detected by even FTA DVB decoders.

When it comes to asking questions about encrypted signals on this forum, one
has to be just a little bit tactful. That means you should use words that even hint that it is an encrypted service.

In this case we all know what the target signal is, so the words you should not use when asking questions about it are; "solar", "digicipher", "smart card", "encrypted".

The perfectly worded newbie phrase.

Quote:
I would like to know if it is possible to receive a signal from Measat3, Transponder frequency 3645MHz from Melbourne and what equipment like size dish and special decoders I might need."
Wow, that's just so generic. Cut an paste it into any newbie question and change the names in colour.

I'm going to try it again and demonstrate even more tact !

Quote:
I would like to know if it is possible to receive a signal from Optus C1, Transponder frequency 12527MHz from Sydney and what equipment like size dish and special decoders I might need. I'm interested in Aboriginal TV."
No mention of the big F or even a hint of Aurora !

www.satvg.org
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
simmo

Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
sba-fta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK2XSO View Post

I get the feeling there is going to be a lot more questions on this and related subjects.

has to be just a little bit tactful. That means you should use words that even hint that it is an encrypted service.

In this case we all know what the target signal is, so the words you should not use when asking questions about it are; "solar", "digicipher", "smart card", "encrypted".

Wow, that's just so generic. Cut an paste it into any newbie question and change the names in colour.

Hi ya VK2XSO;

Would you please clean out your private messages folder.

Thank you.

sba-fta
sba-fta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
VK2XSO
Satellite Guru

fixed now ...

www.satvg.org
Old 07-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
sba-fta

After consulting with the Gods of VETRUN, this posting has been cleared with reservations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK2XSO View Post

Hello VK2XSO;

I know a member of this forum who has a Motorola digicipher 2 receiver (4DTV) that lives in American Samoa. I think Measat 3 is too far west for him to pick it up. The DC2 signal parameters are receivable by the 4DTV receiver but a subscription is required as noted by the listing from Lyngsat. For hacking into the digicipher 2 encryption method is impossible - they change the decryption keys every few seconds - something I would not do. It's far cheaper to subscribe to the services. DC2 is a closed system, it is protected highly. One can't clone the unit's identification serial number circuit chip - any slight disruption to the chip will cause the chip to loose it's unique serial number identifier - which makes the unit a big paper weight. The best course of action for Kent08 to do is contact the program provider and purchase/rent/hire a DC2 receiver. It's cheaper and he would not have too many headaches.

It it understood from the various internet postings, that digicipher 2 and PowerVu are the most secure digital methods. Other methods have been or in the process of being hacked.

The reason why I know so much about the Motorola digicipher 2 (4DTV type) receiver is that I own 4 of them and 3 of them are active with subscriptions. For C-band dish owners here in the U.S. DC2 is the only digital method we have. There are a few analog satellite signals left here. The shopping and preacher feature channels are migrating to digital. They are moving to regular FTA format. There are two types of digicipher 2 signals that the consumer 4DTV receiver can't receive and they are Combo mode (transmitting both I and Q signals on the same frequency) and MPEG 4.

For me, subscribing to digicipher 2 subscription channels here in the U.S. and watching FTA (MPEG 2 AND 4) signals from Intelsat 9 to Intelsat 8 and some in-the-clear digicipher 2 channels is all I do.

Hope this will help you and Kent.

If I get any flames from this posting - hopefully the moderators will be the only ones to do it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
VK2XSO
Satellite Guru

The guys who are trying to get these signals aren't pirates. They're not trying to hack DCII. This was never their intention. All they are interested in is the programing and they are prepared to pay for it. Services hacking isn't in the spirit of this forum.

Having said that we have a certain tollerance for pay services if they are treated like free to air. For example; An Aurora setup using a valid aurora card
would be tollerated as would somebody trying to set up their own SelectTV equipment with a sub card. If somebody is setting the equipment up themselves, they're already a potential satellite hobbiest. It wouldn't take long for them to get curious and swing their dish around to i701.

This is how we suck people into ham radio these days. We practically give them a foundation license. Before you know it, they've lost all dress sense and their social skills are reduced to pure technical discussions or health complaints. Before they realise it, they're holding an advanced operators certificate !

Back two DCII.
So our ethinc readers phone home and have a relative purchase a legit DCII system with a decoder and card and post it to them.

The issue is that they want to be sure they can actually get a signal in Australia before they waste the money on doing this.

When they question the local satellite dealers, there are mixed responses.
Normally the answer would be, uniform yes or uniform no. But when people ask about Solar on Measat3, they get a inconsistent answers.

I a situation like this all the answer requires is an appropriate dish and a spectrum analyser. This will answer most questions.

I have both, but unfortunately, my dish is not in a position to see measat3, and well, those who do have dishes in positions don't have spectrum anaylsers suitable for the task.

What I would be able to see with this setup is the actual carrier, (C+N/N) this would confirm that the DCII decoder will work here.

In normal circumstances a spectrum analyser wouldn't be required. Any FTA decoder could be used to lock to the carrier to confirm that reception was possible. BUT DCII signals won't lock on ordinary decoders.
Since the satellite shops don't keep DCII decoders, their answer is a simple NO to solar, but yes to Measat3 in Aus.

So..... what's the vertdict for all our home sick fillipinos ?

I'm confident that the signal can be received here in Australia on a 3m C-band mesh dish using an ordinary C-Band LNC with an imported DCII decoder and smart card.
The look angle to the satellite is LOW in the west, so you would first make sure you can see the sun setting from where you intended to put the dish.

This is only my *opinion*. Since I can't confirm it 100%, the risk is upon the reader. Somebody has to be first to try it

www.satvg.org
Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
sba-fta

Hello VK2XSO and Others;

Upon further information I received from this forum:

A smart card is not required for the digicipher 2 receivers. If hacked then secondary security protocol will require the smart card.

Regarding Solar Entertainment, one can contact them at: http://www.solar-entertainment.com/contact.php Their service is for the Philippines. They don't have much of a website.

VK2XSO: I see your point about individuals who want to legally subscribe to satellite programming, discussion in this forum (even though the forum is for FTA) should be welcomed. It will enhance the FTA experience. I think I may have given the wrong impression in my previous postings, I stand corrected.

Good luck to Kent08.

Take care.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
simmo

Ok.
What I see here is no real FTA info or benefit in continuing this thread.

Sba-fta, I dont think that this discussion should be welcomed in our forum..I dont see the enhancement angle???

What we at Vetrun do is discuss technical and real FTA stuff, on ALL levels. When it comes to the technical stuff that could be construed as illegal, we as a forum deny all knowledge and let the 'member' continue their cyber search.
I doubt that there is a senior member here that hasnt got some serious knowledge in the old G card stuff, or you-cas, everything in between and even the latest debarcle.... we may know, but dont talk about it here.

This forum is is a very simple place. Maybe we should keep it that way.

Old 14-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
sba-fta

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Ok.
What I see here is no real FTA info or benefit in continuing this thread.

Sba-fta, I dont think that this discussion should be welcomed in our forum..I dont see the enhancement angle???

What we at Vetrun do is discuss technical and real FTA stuff, on ALL levels. When it comes to the technical stuff that could be construed as illegal, we as a forum deny all knowledge and let the 'member' continue their cyber search.
I doubt that there is a senior member here that hasnt got some serious knowledge in the old G card stuff, or you-cas, everything in between and even the latest debarcle.... we may know, but dont talk about it here.

This forum is is a very simple place. Maybe we should keep it that way.

Hello Simmo;

Your one of the moderators here. I see your point at this time in the thread.

No problem here. Let's close this thread and talk about FTA. For me, the subject is now closed.

Anyway, looks like there are double transponder suites on Intelsat 5. <== A new thread.

Take care.